In recent times, there has been a significant change in the logistics scenario in India to meet the requirements of the customers as well as of the corporations. While even a decade or two age, the management of logistics- the complex procedure of the management of the flow of things from the point of origin to the point of consumption- was mostly manual, the recent use of advanced technology in this field has definitely sped up the process. In spite of the rise and fall of economic sector in India in recent times, the success of the corporate could largely be attributed to the smooth operations of the industries with the help of tech enabled logistics companies.
Logistics in India has been a pillar of strength of certain regional zones as well and has helped in the growth of industries in the semi- urban areas as well. The fact that India is now one of the leaders among its emerging marker peers, is largely due to the logistics sector as well which has helped in the diversification and development of industrial planning which has resulted in India rising up to the second position in a report by Kuwaiti logistics firm Agility which has listed the top 50 emerging markets in this segment- with China leading the list and UAE on the third position.
There are of course, continual challenges, changes and developments faced by the logistics companies in India and they must continually adapt to stay ahead. Here are seven ways in which technology is being used in logistics in India:
- Artificial Intelligence: Thanks to AI, the supply chain landscape is very much different today than what most would have anticipated. For example, sensors enabled with AI are now being used for acquiring information like overall health of the fleet, or to understand driver behavior, which in turn can often help in avoiding accidents.
- Blockchain: Blockchain has the ability to streamline key business processes and in turn increase the efficiency of the operations from one stage to another. It is being used for interconnecting fleets and for speeding up communications and recording every bit of instruction for future references.
- Big Data: Big Data has the potential to truly encourage innovation and the efficiency of present industries. Large data sets are being constantly analyzed to reveal patterns that are being used for future references to create better patterns of freight performance by the freight services in India.
- Robotics: Robots and drones have made the system accurate and smart technology is helping with tracking, making transport more reliable and secure. A logistic company in Gurgaon can help with such tracking in any part of the country.
- Internet of Things: IoT is being used to model the behavior of vessels which can be quickly used to for accurate detection of events and also have a forecast about their future behavior.
- Automation: With the use of innovative software, more and more upgrades are being brought about which have resulted in automating many tasks that were earlier conducted manually and were likewise, not free from human errors.
- Machine Learning: With machine learning catching on big time, systems are being updated round the clock and its interconnectedness with AI has made the process more seamless than ever, and shipping companies are largely benefitting from such seamless information before a cargo is dispatched.
One of the biggest disadvantages of logistics is that in spite of technology replacing traditional job roles, this industry is also likely to see the highest number of job losses. However, it is also estimated more and more skilled workers would also be needed to oversee the accurate implementation of technology as well. Hence, as an industry it is also where logistics could see the rise of the creation in new job roles as well. Moreover, even with robotics, human intervention is needed for the accurate supervision and proper functioning of the machines, and would require more skilled workers for such overseeing.